Friday, February 29, 2008

New Beginnings

It is funny you know, you meet all kinds of people in your life, some become permanent fixtures, others are simply funny anecdotes. I have been lucky in my life to have been surrounded by really good people. Funny, talented, loving, generous people who have all taught me something about who I am, and who I want to be.

Growing up I moved all over the Rock, and then to the Big Land, then back to the Rock, and then off it, and back again, and off once more. The only constants in my life were my family, and my childhood bestest bud Maddy. We grew up together as little kids and when I moved away, we would see each other on summer holidays and the odd Christmas. We would always pick up where we left off. Quickly, easily, effortlessly. And eventually, when my family moved back to the Rock we soldiered through high school together, we were inseparable.

We grew apart a little during university, and I think it was hard for us both. Life took us by the hand and lead us in seperate directions. Cripes, at one point she was up North, and I was in South Korea. Before I knew it, ten years had gone by. I think of how often something was going on in my life, and I had the urge to pick up the phone and call her. But I didn't. Too proud.

A few years ago I heard she had moved to Ontario, and I called her. And in the years since we have talked a bit, trying to pick up where we left off. It is not as easy as it was when we were children, we both live far apart, we both have jobs and families, and a gulf of lost years we need to bridge. But the foundation is good, and I know it is just a matter of time.

Maddy is getting married today. She invited me a few weeks back, and I was so hoping I could come. But the weather out there is not co-operating. It is a bitch to get from Durham to Brampton during rush hour as it is, but in the slush, ice and snow it is dangerous on top of it. These mainlanders cannot drive in the winter I tell ya. And so this is an event I will miss.

And I hate it.

I know she will make a stunning Bride- Maddy has a face and smile that brightens a room. I just wish I could be there to see her for myself. Tell her that for myself.

Maddy & Geoff: I am holding your wedding gift hostage until we finally get together.

My love to you both.

2 comments:

Jay said...

The weather was a bitch yesterday -I am so sorry you didn't get to go to the wedding, but given the conditions it was undoubtably the right decision. Now the new family has to come to you ;o)

Peter L. Whittle said...

Hi:

I had some problems with the comments section on my page and lost your comment on the Independent article. My blog is P&P.

If you want to repost, I appreciate it. If not sorry

Peter