It is a tradition in Newfoundland to put money or other trinkets into pancake batter. My Aunt told me once that each trinket was symbolic of the future. As a kid, I always wanted the money and that is usually what we got, but as kids my Aunts and Uncles might have received:
- A penny, to symbolize tight times ahead
- A nickel, to symbolize money coming to you in the future
- A string, to symbolize becoming a fisherman if a boy got the string, if a girl did she would marry a fisherman.
- A ring, to symbolize that you would marry soon
- A button, to symbolize that you would never marry
- A nail, to symbolize that you would soon pass away (well yeah, if there are nails in your food I can see how that might happen)
Does anyone still do this? What sorts of things did you get in your pancakes as a kid? Did anyone get any money in their pancakes yesterday?