Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I read the news today oh boy

A couple of articles had me doing double takes today.

The first, 'Doomsday' vault opens its doors, had me wondering if this group of scientists are optimists or pessimists. The Norwegian vault is protecting close to 300,000 different seed samples from around the world and plans store more than two billion seeds. Doing nothing to avoid the stereotype, Canada’s main contribution was barley, 3,777 different lines of barley to be exact. It appears a new world order would hardly be worth starting without beer.

The other article that had me doing a double take: NASA Takes Aim at Moon with Double Sledgehammer. Scientists are priming two spacecraft to slam into the moon's South Pole to see if the Earth’s pale sister reveals hidden water ice.

"I think that people are apprehensive about it because it seems violent or crude, but it's very economical," said Tony Colaprete, the principal investigator for the mission at NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.

Plus it will be really cool to explode stuff right guys?

Methinks these fellas need a girlfriend, or a hobby that does not involve explosives. Yeah, yeah, I am all for science and progress, but this plan comes from the same group who sent the Mars Climate Orbiter on a suicide mission because they did not know if they were supposed to be using english units or metric. So allowing the b’yes to send what amounts to giant fiery missiles at the moon doesn’t seem like an incredibly prudent idea to me. Stick with the rovers and a probe kids, please.

Speaking of probes: the headline Que. Crown ponders charges after woman dies during sadomasochistic sex was a bit of an attention getter. I understand it is news, but I think what two consenting adults, crotchless chaps, anal plugs, breathing apparatus, and small furless animals do in their own home is really none of my business. Or yours, for that matter. So to release the names of the couple involved was not right. If charges are laid, well fine, but until they are let’s leave their names out of the papers, if only for the sake of the people left to mourn. The last thing little Johnny needs to deal with on top of his mom’s death is the fact that she died while engaging in "uncommon sex practices using very particular accessories."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you don't need to twist the stories to make them entertaining. I agree with your comments around the circumstances surrounding that ladies death. The first thing I thought when I read this was, "CBC? Wow, I thought they were a little more particular with what they call news."

nadinebc said...

I even felt weird linking to it, but did not feel like I could really post about it without citing my source.

Maybe there is some good to come of it, perhaps those who are into that sort of thing might be a little more careful.