Sunday, August 12, 2007

Newfoundland Art

I recently saw Rex Murphy interview Newfoundland artist David Blackwood, an artist whose prints and paintings haunt the imagination. I have always wanted to have a piece of his work, but as many of them start in the $5000 range, it ain't gonna happen. When I was about 14, I saw his print Fire Down on the Labrador at an Arts and Culture Center and I was mesmerized: I could barely pull my eyes away. Something about the piece just held me there, locked. My mom has one of his Mummer pieces, and when you walk into her living room your eyes are drawn to it and your body follows. It is amazing how he has the ability to pull you into his world and hold you there.

While I will never own a David Blackwood, I do have a couple of pieces of Newfoundland Art in my home. They comfort me, they bring me strength and give me a sense of place. I would love to have more, but there are more practical things we need to do around the house first.

I have one by
Ken Power, called Silent Night. It is a winter scene off Signal Hill. I also have Lighthouse Point by Dave Hoddinott which is a beautiful night scene on the water. And finally, I have The Berry Picker, by Ed Roche that I love; which is unusual for me, because I often do not enjoy paintings with people in them for some reason. Who knows why, I am weird that way.

There has been a recent explosion in the amount of Newfoundland Art to be had out there at prices that allow the proud Newfoundlander (or other art lovers out there!) to attain it. I have used http://www.newfoundlandart.ca/ a number of times to purchase pieces, and they have been sent to me framed, and beautiful, and eager to take their place on my wall. So for those of you who live away and often find yourself homesick, check out the website, and think about buying a painting, print or poster. You will be supporting a talented crew back home, and you will do yourself a world of good.

6 comments:

towniebastard said...

"Fire on the Labrador" remains my favourite Blackwood lithograph as well. I owned the poster you showed, but it got wrecked in a move, which upset me greatly as it wasn't cheap.

A friend of mine's parents actually owns one of those prints. I have continualy threatened to rob their place.

And I will own a Blackwood one day, even it is only displayed somewhere my wife (who hates Blackwood) can never see...

nadinebc said...

Awww! She hates Blackwood...nahhh can't be possible. There must be something out there he has done that she would like. :-)

I can see how you would be upset losing the poster- they are hard to come by now.

It is nice to see a Newfoundland artist do so well.

Anonymous said...

Nadine,
I've always stressed how I do not like art with people in it either, unless they are back on. I'm not really sure why either.... strange.

Steph.

WhitbyDude01 said...

I think when you have someone back on or side on or at a distance in a painting your imagination fills in the gaps for you. You can imagine the face(s), disposition, friendly, fierce looking, lonely, etc...However when you are looking at someone up close and personal in a painting you don't have the same control...you might not be liking who you are seeing

Geoff Meeker said...

I don't do this often, but can't resist putting in a plug here for Jellybean Row (www.jellybeanrow.com). It's an elegant yet reasonably priced souvenir of home. I'd be interested in hearing what you think about it. And that is enough indulgent self-promotion for today!

Anonymous said...

Love David Blackwood and I own a copy of Fire on the Labrador print as well as his new book. Have you seen it? it has all his paintings in it.