Monday, March 31, 2008

On this Day in History

On this day in history, Newfoundlanders chose between confederation and dominion status by a vote of 51% to 49% for confederation with Canada. Not everyone was satisfied with the results, however, and validity of that vote has been debated in the years since. I am a proud Newfoundlander, I love that rock in the Atlantic like no other, but I also love Canada. It took a year living away overseas for me to discover just how lucky I am to be Canadian. I know many Newfoundlanders feel we would be better off on our own, and I am not sure I agree. Besides, the rest of Canada needs us- we brought a soul to the country, our artistic talents, our unique sense of humor, our quick wit and ability to cut through the bull. One need only to look to Ray Guy, Rex Murphy, Rick Mercer, and General Rick Hillier to see those qualities in action. We should be proud of all we have given Canada, and recognize that Canada has given us a lot too. It hasn't been a perfect union by any measure, but is something we are working on. It is something worth working on.

Happy Anniversary!

No comments: