Friday, January 7, 2011

Busy Bee

I guess it is a little late to wish you all a Happy New Year as we are now at the end of the first week of January. However, I am going to do it anyway- I do hope this is a good year for everyone.

I have been far too busy the past little while. I don’t know what I was thinking back in September when I signed up for assorted committees (Grad, SAT, and the PRO), an online course, Skills Canada, and more recently to create a pilot course for the Adobe Creative Suite 5 package our board is considering buying. Seriously, what was I thinking? I have a family I need to fit in there somewhere!

I installed CS5 last night- we had to buy a new computer to load and run the sucker because this puppy is huge. When it finally loaded, I had a quick look-see and immediately started to panic. It is so much different than I am used to. The last version of Flash I worked with was Flash MX…same with Fireworks. It doesn’t even look like the same product. What is the difference between a Page and a State? Photoshop and Illustrator were not as terrifyingly different, but there is a still lot to learn. I broke out into a sweat just looking at the new tools and panel arrangement. I just used the plain old CS versions of those packages before and then only to manipulate a photo or create a graphic for a website created in notepad, or on an adventurous day- Dreamweaver- which has also gone nutso (in a good kind of way).

So lots to learn, lots to create, lots to prove, and little little little time to do it.

How is your new year shaping up?

3 comments:

Steve said...

Well Nadine, lately I've been busy with home projects, mostly decluttering and small improvements... cleaning out drawers, selling off shit we don't use, moving furniture, cleaning the shed, etc.

All that and watching a lot of TV! Since Dexter and The Walking Dead are done for the year, I've discovered Netflix and I'm working my way through past TV series like Weeds and Mad Men.

I also plan to start learning how to use CS5 myself... but I said the same thing when I had PS7, so, who knows.

Good luck...

Kim Vazquez said...

Hi Nadine,
I came across your blog while I was researching ways that I can connect with Newfoundlanders- those who I consider to be my people.

I can completely relate to the things you've shared. I'm all the way in California and although I went home last summer, my visits almost make the pining in my heart worse. Your comment about how it seeps into your soul is so accurate.

As we toured the province I would get out of the car and just want to stand next to the water. Where I live I'm land locked. I took pictures of the backyards of many Newfoundlanders and wondered if they even realized what they have there. The beauty, the spirituality, is so breathtaking that I ache for it. I often feel isolated from those there because after being in California, I am now "different." I don't live in LA so I'm not that kind of different, but what I'm not is a "local." I wrote a book and found people in Newfoundland who were interested in it, but as a person living in the US, there's been no way to connect.

That part has been hard, too, because when I wrote it, I wrote it to help others and I'd hoped that my people would be those some of those "others."

Anyway... I ramble, but I wanted you to know that you are so not alone in your feelings. Wishing you peace and love, Kim Vazquez

nadinebc said...

Steve,
I never saw the walking dead, I should look for it. Did you watch Ture Blood?

Hi Kim, thank you for your post. What was the name of your book?

Nadine