Friday, December 4, 2009

All things Christmas

Holy crap it is December! Although you would never know it from the weather. We haven't seen a flake yet and that is fine with me for now. Not only because it means I don't have to shovel it but because with Don driving to work and back on the 401 each day, it is one less thing I have to worry about. I will be a little sad though if we don't have a little of the white stuff for Christmas.

Christmas. GAWD! I am so far from being ready. This year it seems everyone around me is super early this year, they are already done, and I have yet to buy wrapping paper. All these early finishers seem so bloody intent on letting everyone know they are all done. In the clear. Sitting back with a pitying eye for those of us who are lagging. Yesterday I wished them all crotch lice for Christmas. Not exactly a festive message I know. But the pressure is getting to me.

I have been busy with work, a little personal crisis here at home (our daycare provider had a family crisis and suddenly could no longer watch Wilson so we were scrambling for a few days); throw a broken foot in the mix and you have a few of the reasons why I am so behind. More importantly though, I haven't really been in the mood. It might be the lack of snow. It might be because I am homesick. Or maybe I am just tired. I do know I need to get it in gear though. I have a little guy who deserves a little Christmas magic.

Anyway, I figure the only way I am going to get through the season is do do things in baby steps, and I need to get into the spirit of things. So this morning I brought in some pottery as a present to the family our class adopted for Christmas - I am taking care of the gifts for the mom and my students are providing the gifts for the kids. That felt pretty good.

I think tonight I might try a little Christmas baking- that might be something I can do with the little guy and it will make us both happy. The Toronto Star has a little Cookie Advent Calender. Every day you can open a recipe for cookie you may want to make for the holidays. Check it out, you might discover a new family favourite.

No comments: